Sunday 26 August 2012

Tough Times

I have only managed two or three sessions since my last post and they have been tough to fruitless to be honest. I have managed Weever and only Weever on my local beach lately and find it strange I can no longer find the Turbot. 
It's been a tough year for me on the Bass front too and I am way down on previous years, even though I was expecting a better than average year after catching my first on lure on April the 1st. I was out on Thursday and fished four Miles of coast with only one rise to my surface lure, which I suspect was only a curious Mullet. A disappointing session to say the least.
It is enjoyable to be out though and beats working.

Today was another extremely tough day. I had travelled again to the North West of the Lleyn Peninsula to try some new ground. I was hoping to catch some decent Wrasse and the ground looked perfect, a nice stretch of broken up coast with good sized boulders and Kelp beds. The swell however was larger than I had expected and despite trying a myriad of lures and differing techniques I was only getting bites from small Wrasse.




I persisted with the larger lures until the last half hour of my session, then I gave in to the small bites and broke out my light game rod in order to avoid a blank.  A solo Corkwing Wrasse was happy to oblige, taking a pink Power Isome, texas rigged with a 2g weight and a size 4 hook.



I hope things pick up and I have better things to report soon.

Thanks for reading and tight lines!

1 comment: