Sunday 14 August 2016

Sunday Sport and Banter.

My friend Jon popped into work on Saturday and asked if I fancied a fish seeing as the weather was looking good, as were the sea conditions, obviously I said "yes!"
We had pretty much decided to head up the peninsula and fish the deeps with light game gear, the tides are small just now and low water would be around 13:00. I figured with the tides being small, we would be able to fish with the ultra light set ups as the sea would be below the barnacle line and also below the majority of the nasty shelves, indeed it was a good call.

Starting out at 7:00 we made our first stop at the less extreme Pwllheli Beach, hoping for Bream I settled with a brace of decent sized Mackerel which provided some good sport.


This fish actually managed to snag me on one of the treble hooks when I was trying to unhook it, which left my finger bloody and sore for a bit!
We didn't stop too long at Pwllheli and headed up to Aberdaron for coffee and a pasty before heading to the deeps at Uwchmynydd.

I was using my Yamaga Blanks Blue Current 76ti, Daiwa Luvias 2506 spooled with YGK X8 Upgrade PE and YGK leader, at the business end I had a 7g HTO Shore Jig rigged with my own  size 10 assist.
I started catching pretty much right away and after a couple of small Pollock had a pretty decent fish.


Jon was also catching some Pollock and we were hitting into some decent Mackerel too.
I admittedly seemed to be getting the better fishing and must have just got myself into a productive little swim as the fish got a bit better!


A pretty decent Pollock coming in at five and a half pound, which put up quite a scrap on my light game setup! Jon did help me land it with his trusty Prox landing net.

A couple of casts later Jon was heading back over with his net as I had a real good scrapper on! A slightly smaller fish but much much brighter in the fight and as it took a good amount of line twice, I really did think I was losing this one, thankfully I kept my cool and played her in.


That fish was by far the best fight I have had all year and a real adrenaline rush!

The fishing slowed down some from there so we made a short move south along the headland for some Wrasse action.


The Wrasse weren't exactly firing and in fact I was still picking up more Pollock than I was Wrasse, mainly on the HTO Dagger.
Jon had a few small Ballan Wrasse and a cracker of a Corkwing, it is actually the first Corkwing I have seen landed at this mark.

The fishing did tail off quite a bit, so we headed back into Aberdaron for chips and drinks, over dinner I did wind Jon up about my pretty epic Pollock brace which met with threats of walking home!

After our fill and especially Jon's fill of me going on about my Pollock, we returned to Pwllheli with the hope of some more Mackerel and also some Bream.
It was pretty dire there too by now and I landed the only fish there in the form of a Gar, my first this year I think!


Well I finished the day tired, but pretty happy and I'm sure Jon will get a better reward next time!
It was a good day though with plenty of banter, fish and just good chat, a session to remember!

Tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment